Monday, October 12, 2009

Closing our Pond

It is that time of year when we have to close our pond down due to the onset of cold weather. Fall is here and honestly, I think old man winter is trying to cramp his style!

After my husband and son put the netting over the pond; saying goodbye and goodnight until next Spring, a furry little creature began exploring. We have these caterpillars (I have always called them woolly bears) all over the place. Its like it is the invasion of the Woolly Bears! They are all over the ground, the carport and our steps leading into the house. Kristin stepped on one yesterday and boy what a big mess something so little and cute can make! I have always heard that the colors of the woolly bear predict the winter to come. The longer the black segments on the ends of the caterpillar, the harsher the coming winter. It looks like to me, not a harsh winter at all. Good thing the brown doesn't signify the winter to come; we would get slammed.

We also noticed that another one of our pond inhabitants had made it above the netting!

Lastly, a picture of the sunrise last week. I stepped outside just before leaving for work and could not believe what I was seeing. It truly looks like the sky is on fire . . .. simply beautiful!

1 comment:

Amanda said...

Yup, the cooler weather is creaping along here too. I had frost on my car this morning. I'm not ready for the cold already. I'm glad the fuzzy visitor didn't predict a harsh winter, I hink he's cuter just for that!!