Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Blackberry season!!!

Everytime I think about "Blackberry" season or Raspberry season, I think of the ever so popular phrase:


Wabbit season . . . duck season . . . Wabbit season . . . duck season



JD and I have been hard at work picking berries. Besides making jellies, I have been making cookies. Here is the recipe for blueberry cookies however, I make these cookies with Blackberries and added 2tsp of Lemon zest and WOW! These are a winner. (I love how the juice in the berries make them look like tie dye cookies). mmmm mmmm
Blueberry Drop Cookies (Blackberry Drop)
"A delicious alternative to chocolate chip cookies."

Original recipe yield 4 dozen
INGREDIENTS (
Nutrition)
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup shortening
1/4 cup milk
1 egg
1 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon Vanilla extract
1 1/2 teaspoons lemon zest (2 tsp for Blackberry)
1 cup fresh blueberries (you can use frozen)

DIRECTIONS
In a large mixing bowl, cream the shortening, sugar, egg, milk, almond extract and lemon zest. Mix well after the addition of each ingredient. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; blend into the sugar mixture. Fold in the blueberries. Cover and chill for 4 hours.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Drop dough by teaspoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheets, about 1 1/2 inches apart.
Bake 12 to 15 minutes in the preheated oven. Let the cookies cool on the baking sheets for a few minutes before transferring to wire racks to cool completely.

4 comments:

Amanda said...

Mmm, they look so good. I bet they are wonderful right out of the oven with a cup of tea.

Annie said...

I love me some blueberries and they are just coming on now in our part of the globe. I will be making these cookies!!!! Thanks for the recipe they sound yuummyyy!

Amy (wattsup) said...

Hahaha! Looney Tunes are great!!! Any comparison to every day life using them is awesome in my book.

I have NEVER heard of blueberry cookies!!! These look and sound incredibly yummy!

Amy

~Billie~ said...

Yum! They look delicious. Send me some! LOL!