Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Tackle it Tuesday

Tackle It Tuesday Meme

Half of our Tackle was completed on Sunday:

We sorted through all of our empty canning jars and separated them by quart, pint and jelly. The ones that are still full of food were straightened up and grouped. Tonight we are going to start putting lids and rings on EVERY jar we have (Lucky Walmart!). Thanks to a lady at my husbands work, we added approximately 70 jars to our collection (on top of the hundreds of others).

I am so ready to begin canning. This year: Pickles, jellies, jams, preserves, peas, corn and salsa. Green beans are a NO NO this year. We still have 118 quarts leftover from last summer's 200 quart canning.

I also bought this incredible juicer last year so I am hoping my grapes, peaches and apples produce so I can make juices to can. MMM MMM MMM.

11 comments:

the160acrewoods said...

I hope you're going to post your projects online! this is my first year at attempting at big canning! In the past I've done jelly,b ut that's it!

Watts Up said...

118 quarts of greenbeans? What?!? Canning is a lot of work! I can't imagine enjoying it :) YOU GO WOMAN! You can send a few cans of the jellies, pickles, jams, and salsa my way - hahaha!

Heart of Wisdom said...

Good Tackle.
When putting rings and lids on jars to store..This can cost alot...you really don't want use a lid that has been used like that, so don't use new ones, use the old ones . rings can be used over and over, so your are good there.
You can also use clear wrap and a ring, that keeps all the yuck out of the jars. Just a tip.
Good tackle and good job on all your canning.

Robin@heartofwisdom.com
http://www.heartofwisdom.com/heartathome/

Kelly A said...

WOW...You are amazing!! How do you find the energy to do all of that canning???

It's great though! What's better then eating something you know you grew and canned!! Awesome!!

Amanda said...

Wow! Good for you! I bet it saves a lot of money too.

Mama Russell said...

Wow, great tackle! I am impressed; I have yet to learn how to can anything.

The Apron Queen said...

You must have a HUGE garden. I'm just growing sunflowers this year. Too busy for anything else.

For your daily dose of vintage goodness & a bit of silliness, stop by Confessions of an Apron Queen, the home of Vintage Thingies Thursdays.

AC Momma said...

Wow. Your canning is no joke. Especially the grean beans. Impressive! It sounds like a lot of work, but well worth it in the end. Great job!

Karen (Pediascribe) said...

Wow! That is some MAJOR canning! WTG getting everything organized.

Scrapping Servant said...

WOW! Now that is something to be proud of! I rarely seeing in canning going on in homes in California. That is very exciting to hear.

Be sure to stop by my blog for the new button codes and a giveaway :o)

Hopefully we'll see you next week.

Mrs. Annie said...

And there you go! We have other things in common too! I love to can and usually do peaches, pears, pickles, tomatoes, and salsa. Oh, jams too! yum!

Do you grow your produce or buy fresh at the farmers market?