Monday, March 31, 2008

What is D-Day?

D-Day . . hmmm (in my daughter's view) where people died.

Confused? Let me explain: Last Friday, March 29, my daughter Kristin went on a school field trip to the D-Day Memorial in Bedford, Virginia. I gave her my camera for the day to take pictures for us to enjoy since we haven't been yet. I really wanted to see what kind of pictures she would take. Upon picking her up, I immediately asked for the camera. Here are some of the pictures she took. I was pleasantly surprised at how well she did. However, there were more shots of "friends" than the exhibit.
During the ride home, I decided to "quiz" her on what she learned. Friends ~ my daughter didn't learn a damn thing! I then asked if she bought anything at the gift shop and she said why yes, a necklace. While driving, I can't see it because she has it on so I asked what kind of necklace. She says, "I don't know. I think it is a dog necklace". Matt and I at the same time say, Dog tags? Yea, yea thats it. You know what is coming next; I asked if she knew the importance of the dog tags? not a clue. Matt and I then give her a history lesson of dog tags. I think my son was impressed with my knowledge on this subject. Matt then says Kris, did you learn anything at all, seriously? She says not really. I bet if I asked what some of her friends were wearing, she could tell me.
(sigh from mom) The rest of the way home, I think in my head what I could have done with the $30.00 we shelled out for her to attend this great memorial. ( New shoes, GAS, groceries, the list goes on and on!)

2 comments:

Watts Up said...

I think we all took those field trips for granted at times growing up - ya know? The cool thing is that looking back later, you usually remember more of the history - it was always so hard to focus b/c you were excited to be out of the classroom and with your friends & able to talk during the day! I think I need the history lesson on dog tags though!

Kelly A said...

Too Funny!!! I have to admit though...I was totally the same way!!

She did get some great pics though!!